Vegan Sushi Bowl
Those who are familiar with Japanese cuisine will know the importance of sushi. The soft cooked rice, nori sheet, and delicious vegetables with Japanese flavours are a perfect treat for every occasion. Even if you are working from home, you can still enjoy the luxuries of sushi in a different style.
This vegan sushi bowl is delicious, wholesome, and loaded with flavours we all love. It is super easy to make and far easier to store as well. You can prepare it ahead of time and enjoy it later. Although traditional sushi uses beef or seafood, this vegan recipe offers a healthy vegan substitute. The use of fresh vegetables makes this sushi bowl refreshing and nutrient-rich.
The beauty of this vegan bowl is that you can add whatever vegetables you like. Here are a few variations that will make this dish taste even better:
- Use green or fava beans instead of edamame.
- Add grated beets and radishes for color.
- For a non-vegan version, add smoked salmon or turkey meat.
- You can use brown or black rice as well.
- You can use silken tofu instead of vegan mayonnaise as well.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
- 1 cup brown short-grain rice, rinsed well
- ½ dried nori sheet
- 1 ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- ¾ tsp tamari
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cups edamame
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbon
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ small cucumber, matchstick cut
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Pickled ginger for garnish
For the mayo sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- In a large pot, pour water and place it on medium heat. Once the water starts to boil, add rinsed white rice and let it cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked. Drain the rice and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Once the rice is drained, return it to the pot and cover it. Place the pot on low heat and let the rice cook for 10 minutes. Once done, fluff up the rice using a fork.
- In a small pan, add rice vinegar, sugar, tamari, and salt. Let it heat for a minute or until the sugar dissolves. Pour this mixture on rice and mix well.
- Dry the toast nori sheet by placing it on a skillet over medium heat. Toast it until the sheet is crisp and easy to crumble. The toasting process will take about 5 minutes. Once done, crumble nori using your hands on top of the rice.
- In a pot, boil water and add edamame. Let them boil for 5 minutes until they are cooked through. Drain the beans and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, add mayonnaise and siracha. Mix well and set aside.
- Divide the cooked rice into two bowls. Top the rice with cooked edamame, cucumber, carrot ribbons, and avocado slices. Drizzle mayo on top. Sprinkle pickled ginger and sesame seeds on top and enjoy.
- Chicken and bacon salad with rosemary vinaigrette
Chicken and bacon salad with rosemary vinaigrette is a very refreshing, colorful, and vibrant bowl of food that can be your ultimate healthy working from home lunch idea. This salad is made from fresh vegetables, leafy greens, delicious chicken, and a zesty and refreshing vinaigrette.
Just as you take the first bite of this salad, you get the juiciness of the chicken, the crunch of lettuce and jicama, and a burst of flavor from cherry tomato. The crispy bacon is like the cherry on top!
Tips for making Chicken and bacon salad with rosemary vinaigrette
Although making this delicious salad is very easy, a few tips can help you get the best results:
- I prefer using skinless, boneless chicken breast, but you can go for chicken thigh as well. Furthermore, any leftover chicken will go well with this salad. You can use turkey meat as well.
- You are free to use any fresh vegetable for this salad. You can create different versions of this salad by pairing up different vegetables.
- This vinaigrette uses rosemary for freshness and aroma. However, if you want a creamy dressing, use a ranch or blue cheese dressing. You can also add sour cream on top of the salad.
- To create a more intense herbaceous flavor, add Italian seasoning instead of rosemary. It is a blend of oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, and tarragon.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 bacon slices
- ¼ lbs. chicken breasts, boneless
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch watercress, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup jicama, matchsticks cut
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Once it heats up, place bacon slices on it and cook until it is cooked properly and crisps up from both sides. Once done, remove it from the skillet and drain excess fat.
- Pat the chicken breast dry using a kitchen towel. Season generously with salt and black pepper and cover the sides with minced rosemary.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil and place chicken breast in it. Let it cook from both sides for about 10 to 12 minutes. Once done, set it aside.
- Add roughly chopped lettuce, watercress, halved cherry tomatoes, and jicama
in a large serving bowl.
- Add olive oil, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Mix well using a whisker or a form.
- Drizzle this vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss well using two wooden spoons.
- Roughly chop bacon strips and slice cooked chicken breast.
- Add the bacon and chicken on top of the vegetables, and enjoy!
- Chicken Burrito bowl
The chicken burrito bowl is a healthy, delicious, and quick way to enjoy a wholesome meal. The best thing about this recipe is that you can prepare it in advance and refrigerate it. You can create a meal worth 2 to 3 days by investing an hour in preparation and cooking.
The taco seasoned chicken. Black beans, bell peppers, and rice served with guacamole and salsa is refreshing and finger licking good. It is a delicious addition to your list of favorite lunch bowls.
You can change the recipe according to your liking as well. For instance, you can use turkey instead of chicken. Furthermore, add brown rice to cut some calories.
Can you make taco seasoning at home?
Absolutely! You make mix the spices and store them in a jar. Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
½ lbs. boneless chicken, pounded
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1 Bell Peppers, sliced
½ onion, sliced
¼ cup black beans
¼ cup sour-cream
For the rice
½ cup white rice
1 cups water
½ tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Juice of half lime
salt to taste
For the salsa
½ ripe avocado
¼ small jalapeno, divided
1/8 cup onion minced, divided
1 small tomato, diced
1 tbsp cilantro minced, divided
Juice of half lime
- I a bowl, place boneless ponded chicken and add oil and taco seasoning. Mix well using your hands and place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Place a pan on medium heat. Once it is hot, place the chicken pieces and cook on each side for about 6 minutes or until they are done. Once done, take them off the pan and roughly chop them. Set the chicken aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil. Once it is hot, add sliced onion and bell peppers. Sauté the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are tender. Set aside.
- Pour water into a saucepan and place it on medium heat. Once it starts to boil, add rinsed rice and half a tsp of oil. Cover the pot and let the rice cook until all the water evaporates and the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper, and add cilantro. Fluff up the rice using a fork. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add avocado and mash it using a fork. Add half tablespoon of cilantro, minced onion, and minced jalapeno. Season with salt and lime juice. Mix well and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add chopped tomatoes and the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Serve the rice in two serving bowls. Place cooked chicken, beans, onions, and bell peppers in the bowl. In a separate bowl, add salsa, guacamole, lettuce, and sour cream.